Lemon Garlic Cabbage
Yes, I'm making a lot of cabbage this winter. Truth be told, I'm trying my best to cook from local ingredients and at my market this is the only vegetable I can find that is grown even remotely close to NYC. But, necessity is the mother of invention and I've been keeping my tummy full with delicious variations on this hearty vegetable. Tonight's presentation is tarted up with lemon rind and given a kick in the tongue with some dried chilies. Golden garlic rounds out the flavor wheel, making the dish a new staple in your repertoire.
- 1 1/2 pounds Green Cabbage
- 1 head Garlic Cloves, sliced thinly
- Rind of 2 Lemons, cut in large strips
- 2 Dried Chilies
- 3-4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cut the cabbage into thin shreds, set aside.
- In the bottom of a wok or large stockpot, heat the oil. When hot, add the garlic and fry until golden. Then add the lemon peel and dried chilies. Toast everything.
- Add cabbage to pot, stir to combine, drop heat to medium-low and cook until tender (about 30 minutes), stirring infrequently.